Monday, 2 May 2016

BIRD WAITING FOR A BUS (AGAIN)

Do you ever look back at some of your old blogposts and think (in surprise) "Gosh I quite like that!".  This was one of my favourites, because the painting was so small, a real miniature with a story, and it worked out, as I envisaged it, in the end. 

It was initially posted on the 2nd April 2013 and some of you reading my blog now may not have seen it.  

Elizabeth at her blog "Altered Book Lover" has lots of good ideas and one of them is that we repost a favourite blogpost on the 2nd of the month.  So here it is.

 * * * * * * *

BIRD WAITING FOR A BUS

Here is how I make an inchie, yes, a square inch painting, the only way I know, the slow way. (An inch is 2.54 centimetres).

First assemble the equipment, besides a large sheet of cartridge paper and some tracing paper.


A square inch template to draw around, to make an square just over one inch (to be trimmed later).

A 0.05 waterproof pen to draw the picture.
A pencil to try out ideas, rough sketch on the actual inchie and an eraser on the end to rub out pencil markings on the inchie.
My sewing machine brush to use while drawing or painting to brush away any eraser or other dusty bits on the inchie.
Tombows and other watercolour pens.
Staedtler triplus fineliners and other pens.
A 000 brush to paint in the tiny corners.





Then I do many try-out drawings relatively quickly and very small.  Here are some of them. When I was at college I had a very inspiring teacher who made us do lots of samples (for weeks) before even starting to think about a finished design and I enjoyed making samples more than anything.

The sheet of paper below is roughly 8 by 6 inches.  There are some funny looking birds here but that's the whole idea of samples, to let you try out new, random and odd ideas without commitment to finishing.  Do you like the little bird centre bottom with the crutches, that's why he is waiting for the bus.






The main trouble with making lots of samples is that you make a very good bird, for example, then you want to duplicate that bird on to your finished piece.  Tracing paper works to a certain extent but it hardly ever seems to end up quite the same.

Eventually I go for it, make a square inch and draw the outlines.  I was very taken with this little bird, but the bus stop got away from me and the road went through it so I had to start again.  I used the sketch later to try out ideas for the flowers and grass colours.






Finally get a good bird, bus stop and bus all on the one inchie.  Then comes the nerve-wracking task of painting it.  One shoogly hand and it's gone.  And here is the final .......




BIRD WAITING FOR A BUS





Now I ask -
Why is the bus off the road?  Is it just taking a wide corner?  I don't like the look of those back wheels.
Why is the bird facing the wrong way, he should be looking out for the bus.  I think he may have been there for some time and has gone into a bus-waiting trance.

Otherwise, I actually rather like it.  My paintings are as much a surprise to me as to anyone else.

31 comments:

  1. Oh Sheila, this is WONDERFUL. Because I am so new to your blog posts, this one was a surprise to me. A truly lovely and adorable painting. I tried inchies a few times, but I am better with BIG than small. Your use of samples is something I would never think of. That shows discipline.

    Your little bird may have turned its back on the impending problems about to befall on the bus. Thanks for sharing this second look on the 2nd with us. It's a colorful and joyful entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun little bird. Yup, I have the same issue-I can't draw exactly the same thing twice. I enjoyed your little inchie; it was a bright little piece on a wet Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember that blogpost very well and I like it as much as you do!
    I think the bird is mortally offended because the bus is late, very late. And the bus driver is tearing his hair seeing that. He tried his best to come at time and therefore he was driving that fast that the back wheel lost contact with the road. And this two wheel don't have enough air which was another problem.
    That's what I think about this wonderful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always amazes me how much can be fitted into an inchie and yours is a delight. Perhaps the bird knows that the bus isn't going to make the corner and so has turned so it doesn't have to watch! Thanks for re-posting.Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely inchie, I hope he bird didn't get knocked down by the bus! Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe your birdie is looking at another birdie and that's why he doesn't see the bus going off the road. It is a pretty winding road, or perhaps there was a huge pothole or the bus driver swerved to avoid another bird? Lol. Sweet inchie. Xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous Sheila! I love your little bird - he may be looking worried though, because all the passengers on the bus seem to have jumped out!!! So happy to have seen this - love it!! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post. As usual such fun. I have made inches but you know me, big is best. Do like the little flowers. The bird senses an accident about to happen and wants nothing to do with it. Turning a blind eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A whole inch! Takes a big brush to do that. Love the wee bird, Awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh beautiful teeny whimsical art. Your title made me smile before I read your post. I love the bird waiting for the bus. Thanks for sharing your samples. Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do remember, but I never mind seeing your whimsical, magical art again. You crack me up critiquing this adorable teeny tiny painting. I'm not sure what is happening with the bus off the road, but I think this might be birdie's first bus ride and he isn't sure which direction the bus will be coming from. Me personally?...I'd be in the bus trance because I would have been there early so as not to miss it. He might also be looking around wondering why there are no other waiting passengers. Is this the right bus. Ok STOP...I could go on forever! LoL. And all coming from an inch of great art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you re-posted this for a second look. You really had me giggling at all you critiquing..........I thought it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a darling little painting! the ACEO size is about the smallest I can work with but I admire those of you that can do the inchies ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to reply to your comment about the zoos in your area, specifically the one in Edinburgh. It could be the cold, but I suspect it's got more to do with acreage, and the huge cost to keep these animals. I read that each elephant costs approximately $100.00 USD a day to feed. And that doesn't include a licensed vet, keepers, or the ability to get rid of the waste. That may help answer your concern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its a fantastic inchie, so much detail on the small space.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. love all the other samples too,esp the first one. The scene you have created is beautiful Sheila, I have never tried making an inchie !! Its a treat reading your post and the comments on it, love how everyone gets so involved and has their own story about this lovely scene :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A funny Sheila-story from Absurdistan: a bird waiting for the bus .... even though he could fly yes!
    You must have really good eyes, that you can make such small drawings! I find it interesting to see your sketch-sheet, where you develop your characters. Much love - Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  18. "the little bird with the crutches, that's why he is waiting for the bus" - isn´t that hilarious?! oh, your Posts never cease making my day. way too much fun!! and it was interesting to see how you learnt to work at college. xox, johanna

    ReplyDelete
  19. all the questions you ask at the end.... the things that don't make sense are what makes it so charming for me. a colorful realm with it's own rules, or very few.

    i love the thought of art at one inch. kind of crazy making, maybe... unless ones eyes and light are great ;-)

    adorable piece.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shoogly hand = now that is an interesting term Sheila and very descriptive eventho I've never heard it before.
    It IS amazing the story and sweet drawings you managed onto a wee lil inchie.
    Really fun seeing your drawings.
    Thanks for the fun look back.
    Happy May dear friend.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fantastic Sheila! What a cute inchie! A little bird waiting for a bus is a fun idea.
    Thanks for sharing your design technique.
    Mar :)x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is absolutely adorable. It reminds me in a way of the drawing I do where the flowers all look to be on their side...no perspective understanding in this old hear :-) Love the bird and the bus...they go together like two peas in a pod. So cute. Your sketch sheet is a real keeper. Thanks for introducing me to the 000 brush and the idea of using one of my sewing machine brushes to swipe off the leftovers from erasures. Happy art week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely painting Sheila -- super that we can see this again! Adorable!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Sheila your little inchie is great, how you have managed to get so much detail into a square inch amazes me. I love the clarity of the colours and the little birds expression and shading

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love your fun samples and that poor little bird with the crutches, I hope he caught a bus soon! Your finished little bird and bus piece is so sweet and great, simplicity does the trick and you make such lovely pieces that always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha Sheila, so much fun to see one of my favorite posts again! I so remember this sweet post ;) It´s always a wowzer for me to get such a big story in such a small place...you are the master of this challenge for sure ;) I so love the birds trust in the universe, that the busdriver is getting her in the end, no matter what....but wait, maybe it is trusting in itself....see, it can fly!!!...so let the bus drive its way...on the road or beside...and stay happy everyday, haha ♥ Conny http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such an impressive piece...inchy you say...wow an inchy... I can not work that small and admire those who can. You got so much in that painting...so cute too! Plus I love all the colour and two tone bird!!Such an adorable scenario... the bird is day dreaming and the road is too narrow to place the bus stop on that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I like it a lot, it's so very cute! Thanks for sharing your process on this tiny and wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Sheila, ich mag den Bus und die Reifen und den Vogel und die Landschaft, ein wunderbares kleines Bild. Ich bewundere dich, so klein malen können, dafür sehe ich schon zu schlecht und die Hand ist auch zu unruhig. du hast das großartig gemacht!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is fun to see some of the old posts and then post them for the newer folks.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.