Monday, 28 April 2014

WHAT IS A MAP FOR?

"Mix It Monthly" this month is asking us to make artwork based on the theme "Maps".
My first impulse was to run away and hide - noooooo, I don't like maps!

How do birds find their way around?





Have a look at my previous post here to see why I don't like maps.

We are also asked to use these colours.





So it's nearly the end of the month, but I like "Mix it Monthly" and Conny who runs it, so I've just squeezed in under the wire.

* * * * *



The way to the Pink Tree




You see that's what happens.  There's a way to the Pink tree but what is it?



* * * * *


In books, when the hero is lost, he sometimes follows the river, because that is supposed to go to civilisation.




FOLLOW THE RIVER




And the river ends in the Middle of Nowhere.


* * * * * 

Here are two tips for when you are driving around for hours and can't find the way home.


Phone Mr E. and ask "Where am I"?  (Mr. E's excellent advice was to drive to somewhere with a signpost and phone him back). (Oh, and this was in the days before mobile phones, so I had to find phone boxes as well as being lost).


Phone for a taxi and ask the taxi driver to drive to somewhere you (might) know and follow the taxi.


* * * * *

Buses and trains are wonderful things.

16 comments:

  1. First, if the river ended in the middle of nowhere, then you must be in California. We are always in a drought. Next, I'll need Mr. E's phone # please. Those are quite the tips for getting yourself found! LOL

    This is definitely you, Sheila, with your own kind of map and on your way to a pink tree! I just love how your imagination works! I think you nailed that challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila you always amaze me with your wonderful fantasi and paintings, love your stories and I also love your maps.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are wonderful! Very imaginativ and lovely colours! Especially I like river painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use maps much either, I would rather landmark. I like your version of maps much better. Keep it up.. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is another brillant work! I'm happy that you are sharing all your creativity with us all. You give us good tips...buses...trains...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good maps are always works of art and these are no exception. I can now find the pink tree easy. The river is super, beats any satellite view. Love the colours, Awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this fun piece, and your interpretation of maps, great work! Made me smile! This is a map I could follow! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha the first big laugh I had by reading that you wanna hide by seeing the theme first time :D...and I am so proud of you and happy you did your two gorgeous pieces! You are so unique and funny Sheila and your work with your stories beneath are always a garant for fun and feast for the eyes :) ...and I am laughing still by reading how you will find the way home, hihi! My favorite: the first, because I am a fan of pink trees and a map to find them are priceless! Thank you for making happy! Mix It Monthly ♥ Conny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't be afraid of maps. They are good for art. Not so good for me for finding anything either. And I don't have GPS. Anyway I love your whimsical art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh sheila, i LOVE your humor!! and your art style, of course! and nowhereland is a place i know very well;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila, your way to the pink tree is a beautiful way and make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sheila, you have used the colours from the given pallet beautifully in the Map of the Way to the Pink Tree! The squiggley wiggley path would be difficult to follow.

    Your descriptions of what to do when lost had me chuckling, too. Everyone needs a Mr E. to give good suggestions when lost! How did we exist without the mobile phone?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Sheila the pink trees are a little too much pink for me but your Follow the River is amazing I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sheila I love these map inspired pieces especially that pink one with the trees, it's a wonderful piece, full of space, it's so different and I find it soothing, such beautiful work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your maps but especially the pink one

    ReplyDelete
  16. Particularly love the pink one.
    Such wise advice from Mr E, I'm still smiling. Jx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.