Monday, 27 January 2014

PURPLE CATS NEVER CHASE BIRDS



This was the second artwork I made at the "Soul Food" online classes, this time with Lisa Patencio.

Without giving too much away, we started by choosing one basic colour to make the background.  To make it more difficult for myself, I chose blue.  If you want to see another post about my difficulties in creating with the colour blue you can see it here.  We were shown a set of techniques we could use to paint the background.


This is part of the background.




We cut the larger sheet into strips to make a small zig-zag booklet and this is the little booklet of five pages I made.  It measures just over 16 x 3 inches.
It doesn't read very well as a picture here, but I think that's OK as it's meant to be held in the hand and the pages looked at individually.





Lisa suggested that the artwork could illustrate the story of the Owl and the Pussycat who went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.


When I investigated the background to see what I could possibly do with this expanse of blue, I saw a few birds appear like the one on the right below.  I only had to outline him, give him an eye, an orange beak and little legs and feet and there he was, ready made.  This is sometimes called "Pulled Art" and was a first for me.

These are the first two pages.






This is the centre page.  When I saw the dear little cat appear, I knew what the title of the booklet would be.  Isn't he sweet, he would never chase a bird, never.






These are the last two pages.
I didn't notice the monster behind the house until I had scanned in the booklet and he appeared on the screen.   He was looking at me without an eye, so I had to give him one and rescan him in.  There is another little bird sitting in the moonlight just on the right.  I think he is sleeping.






I enjoyed all this enormously and spent a whole day making the booklet, totally in the Zone.  
What did I learn?
I learned that I still disliked working with blue.
I discovered "pulled art" and new techniques for making a background.
And although I have made little books before, I hadn't made them in this way, so that is something I will certainly do again.  A little booklet like this would be an excellent Birthday card for someone very special.


I hope you are enjoying my adventures in the on-line art course.



* * * * *



Last summer my blogging friend Beate invited Orange Esmeralda's cats to a garden party in Germany.  Beate has now finished the book of the event and you can read about it on her blog here
There are four separate posts and when reading the first of the posts, click on the words "Weitere informationen" (further information) at the foot of the post to ensure you find the whole of the post.


32 comments:

  1. Oooh, what wonderful art, Sheila! I enlarged your fabulous works and they are amazing. Love them. Colour is very effective and creates some exciting atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha,what a fabolous animals you drawn sheila, i loove the cats and owls,so cute and funny,iam glad you have fun with soulfood,iam goming too to soulfood.
    iam have seen beates book with your lovely cats,its amazing art work iam happy for you dear sheila.

    greetings jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a fun day, with cats and owls and even colours you don't like, and strange monsters peeping out....Fun! hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet the birds wish all cats were purple! Love the monster. Its a tremendously clever use of pulled art. Love it, Awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Sheila, I had a smile as soon as I saw your blog post title on my sidebar and a bigger one when I saw your cat saying 'never'. This is so much fun, and lovely shades of blue. Take good care, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool Sheila I love your blue masterpiece...it reminds me of Picasso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Cool. Looks like you are learning lots of fun and enjoyable techniques with your online class. Pulled art is like going on an adventure and finding lots of treasures! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your art, so cool and the colours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the title of your little book! Blue is not a favorite color for me either. This is very interesting. I could never do anything like this, my mind can't process it. I admire your adventure through this fascinating and creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fantastic and adorable little book! I do love it and it makes me smile! Absolutely wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sheila. I loved reading about how your art work came about. You've made a lovely little book. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, I'm enjoying your soul food adventures and loving what you have produced. It's strange, but this is the second blog artists that I have read this week (the other was Irene Rafael, one of the blogs I follow) who does not like working with blue, but like you produced something unusual and lovely.
    What a sweet little book, and yes, I can imagine that a little booklet like this would be valued much more by someone than a traditional card, and is more easily stored in a 'treasures' box.
    Enjoyed your post as always and enjoyed the chuckle I got from the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Der Hintergrund ist wunderbar und die Farbe blau hast du perfekt gewählt! Ich liebe die Katze und die Vögel und die rote Eule und einfach alles! Wunderschön Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sheila you are having such wonderful fun and I love how it all looks, really great! Even in blue! Keep up this fun adventure, I love coming here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your blog title ... fun! There's a lot to look at ... love it ... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I WANT a purple cat! Fabulous and fun, Miss Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your lovely blue cat must be a brother of naugthy cat and he seems to be as wonderful as him... It's great to see how you work in a totally different technique and the pictures you do are as expressive as ever. No doubt: It is your style anyway wich technique you are using!
    I can't see that you don't like to paint in blue...
    Best Beate

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wouldn't mind a purple cat! It's a wonderful little book spread and I really dig all of the textures and layers you have going on here. Your blues are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful little book with an awesome background. Many small birds and the purple cat with polka dots ... glorious. I hope it is a friendly monster.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your paintings in your own unique style are again so frash and amazing, I'm totally fascinated, dear Sheila:-)
    Wish you a wonderful weekend, big hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun you are having with your Soul Food classes, Sheila! And what fun I am having reading them! I do love your purple cat, he will be a great companion for Naughty Cat, and Picatso and the others! Hugs, hope your week has gone well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. For someone who dislikes working with blues, you made a fabulous piece of blue art! haha
    Have a great weekend!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Sheila I love your imaginative take on purple cats and how you have managed to pull birds from your creativity. Did the purple cat arrive in the spaceship from Germany, I have never see a purple cat before....is it an alien cat and if so can you send one here so that it can teach my cats not to chase birds.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love this page. Beautiful animals on this great background. Fabulous work you have done on it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You always let my heat sing with your great art and the lovely posts you did with it Sheila!! And yes the cat would never chase the birdies, thats for sure, but I am a bit afraid the monster would?! ;)♥ Conny Mix It Monthly

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always love your pieces, Alex. This looks so good - your cat looks so cheerful, perhaps because he never chases birds! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I certainly enjoy visits to your blog, Sheila, and I love these pieces you have posted in Take a Word. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh!
    Amazing piece and the flower vase is wonderful too!

    Happy SOUL FOOD Sheila!

    xxx Susi

    ReplyDelete
  29. it was a big joy to follow your steps through this experience... thanks for sharing!! this "pulled out" art is incredible. i also liked your collaboration with beate!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My brain is so shot from dealing with all the health issues going on in our family that I didn't even remember you were in the Soul Food classes, too. For not liking blue, you sure do a great job using it! I'm way behind in the classes, but I've been downloading the videos.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.