Saturday, 10 August 2013

SQUARES AND CIRCLES

I've always loved making art with squares.


When I was at college, I made a book full of square patterns which I loved.



My very Fierce Teacher said "That's very nice, now make patterns without using squares" although she may not have quite said the first bit, and just occasionally I still think "I'm not allowed to do squares!".


But this week I have been given permission by both the "Three Muses" challenge (Circles and Squares) and the "Art Journal Journey" challenge (Squares) to make art with squares.


Although I sometimes use photo-editing, all my art (unless otherwise stated) starts from my own paintings or my own photographs.


Fierce Teacher might have liked this - it's not a square  ........



........  yet.



Now it is!






This was painted on the diagonal in the hope of making an interesting square tile when four squares were put together.










And perhaps Fierce Teacher, who was also Inspirational Teacher was saying, it's alright to make squares but Not All The Time!




Just one more for now.






I wonder if there is one pattern we tend to use more than others in our art, whether it's a square, a circle, a bird, a face or .... ?

23 comments:

  1. Love your squares and patterns! Don't listen to that teacher! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its square, Orange, so cool !! Just what teacher wanted. Love it, Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW,Orange,your squares are so beautiful,love the colors and the pattern,love it.

    Have a nice weekend :-)

    Greetings Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great squares Sheila and your circle aren't bad either...you pose an interesting question I don't think I've ever given it much thought...but now I'm thinking it might be triangles or faces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fierce Teacher was most likely just trying to get you through her class. Now that you are all grown up and artistic, you may have it your way as often as you like. I love how you take one piece and magically spin it into a bunch of pieces looking pretty. I really love your very first block in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what AMAZING pieces! Wow.. it´s a gift to see all this.. like a view through caleidoscope... wonderful Sheila - I really enjoy it- thank you for beeing with us again over on art journal journey!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love your free form and beautiful paintings. You have such a great sense of color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful paintings, I also love the effects of playing with the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, love your story of the fierce teacher. good you didn´t take her seriously;) love how you combine handwork with computer editing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now you are all grown up and fierce teacher is being fierce to other students and you can make as many squares as you like ... and the ones I am seeing at fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila I love all your squares, they are great! You always have lots of fun and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been busy. As usual loved your colours and the wonderful effects you create. Once again awed by your mastery of technology
    motoots

    ReplyDelete
  13. All your circle and squares are amazing, perhaps you could combine being a children's author / illustrator wwith that of a ceramic tile designer. Colour combinations are unusual but promote great interest in the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful squares and patterns, great colours as well. Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful piece - I particularly like the first. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so creative!Beautiful squares and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whatever your teacher might have said, Sheila, I LOVE your squares! Don't listen to old voices. It means, the person is old too. And that might have made him blind too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your sqaures. You made me laugh so hard with your fierce teacher, it's so recognizable. Teachers don't always know what they are doing when they say things like that...
    xx Monique

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww I have missed this one, silly me ;) the squares are so beautiful and the "rocket" (second pic) is my fave ♥ Conny
    http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.