Sunday, 21 July 2013

MEMORIES

The theme at "Take a Word" challenge this week is "Memories". 
The theme at "Mix it Monthly" challenge this month is to take the colours blue, sand and violet, some wood and a bird to make a picture connected to the beach and sea.
Also linking to "Artists in Blogland" for "Show and Tell Saturday".
Happily these themes coincided both thematically and artistically.


In the 1950's, not many people in our area had a car.  My father loved to buy a (very) old banger in the autumn and spend all winter playing with it, so we could go to the seaside in the summer in his "new" car.





When we arrived at the seaside, we drove straight on to the beach, because that's what everyone did, and there was a straight line of cars parked along the sand.



Of course we took our pet octopus, who travelled on the roof-rack, to have a little swim in the sea.  He was actually a quintopus as he only had five arms.







And naturally our pet eagle came too, flying above the car all the way.




Pet eagles are a different colour from wild eagles.



And so we all arrived safely at the beach.  The boat is a wooden "Seiner" which can sometimes be seen at the fishing village of Pittenweem on the East Coast of Fife in Scotland.
The palm tree may be a summer visitor.








Yes, we usually arrived safely.   Going back home was occasionally a different story when the "new" car got a little tired and had to be mended by any means possible including, once, the silver paper from my chocolate bar.

And even now, many years later, I am still mildly surprised when we go on a journey and actually come back with no breaking-down incidents.

29 comments:

  1. I can see why the palm tree would want to visit, but the flowers? Only YOU could grow flowers in sand. LOL What a beautiful, fanciful life you paint with pictures and with words! I am trying to puzzle out what part of a car can be repaired with a silver candy wrapper. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic story and pictures, your post put a big grin on my chin today! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lovely memories. The story and your lovely paintings are adorable. I love especially that you took the poor octabus to to the beach:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sea, The Sea. Marvellous combination of drawing and photoshop, very clever. Keep it up, Awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story and so lovely illustrated!! When will you publish your first book with some of your illustrated stories? Your ideas are more than great! I love the visiting palm tree and the pet octopus, and....
    Ciao, Beate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sheila you always make me smile when I visit your blog, love your story, drawings and everything, you have made a wonderful piece.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day on the beach :) I wish I would have been there and take a spashy bath with you ;) How I love the car, the colorful bird and the funny boat... but the best are the flowers, that grow in the sand :) ♥♥♥ Thank you so much for participate on Mix It Monthly

    xox
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous Sheila. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.
    Ps: I love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story with illustrations to match, Sheila, I see another book on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was like picking up a delightful children's story book! Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful illustrated story. I love the car the boat and the bird and especially the flowers growing in the sand. Brought a smaile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a precious "memory" and so is the whimsical illustration. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sooo cool and "Cool" is too. what a great take on memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous memories and illustrations! I have learned something today. Wild eagles and pet eagles can be recognised by their own special colours!! (Whimsical and funny and, yes, I ALMOST believe it!). Great artwork and a lovely sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your memories and your lovely whimsical piece. Great information about eagles, I didnt know that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Sheila, what a wonderful story! I adore your strange and colorful pets, and that super little car!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This, Miss Sheila, is a precious gem of memories. Take a deep bow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a wonderful story.. oh yeah there come exactly the same memories to me.. as we had the luck to have an VW beatle and this amazing car brouht us to the sea ... thousand of miles....
    it was my STAR..but very small ...
    You did
    AMAZING ART
    here!
    I really like this!
    great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the story, is a nice memories! and a wonderful illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful colourful memories my dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely, Sheila! All the childhood memories, beaches, sand, buckets, spades and sand castles! Your colours are so idyllic, the purples, blues and sandy grey coloured sand. I agree with many of the fellow bloggers, that this would make a lovely children's story book. Keep it up, especially when it is rainy and the garden calls no longer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sheila, cute picture and full of happy memories. Thanks for popping in past me too it's very much appreciated. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. interesting story to hear...I might have been at that same beach..I was troubled by that 5 armed octopus! LOVE the car..the colors are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You really are a star! Am sat here laughing at this post - I cannot tell you how much I enjoy visiting you! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your piece conjures up such happy memories of summer holidays. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely love the polka dots and wobbly wheels on the car...and the colours too. I too have many memories of cars breaking down but your car is the best. All the elements you have produced are quirky and fun, the flowers, the octopus, the boat, the bird .....you have excelled yourself here Sheila. Amazing! I agree a children's book or set of cards are calling you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are wonderful - full of fun and optimism. And i just love your bird!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh what fun your art is! I've just had my Grandson for a week and he'd love this story for one of his bedtime stories.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.