Sunday, 19 May 2013

HOTHOUSE FLOWER INCHIE

Can I spend more than 6 hours making an inchie?  Maybe......

The theme at the "Every Inchie Monday" challenge this week is "Flower" and an inchie is strictly 1 x 1 inch square.
The theme at the Artful Times challenge is "Flowers".

When I see a theme for a challenge, my first ports of call are usually my black and white sketchbooks. 
These contain very small square/rectangle sketches, from less than 1 x 1 inches to the largest (so far) 1¾ inches x 1¾ inches.  These are not real-life sketches, they are inside-my-head sketches.

This one gave an idea for "Hothouse Flower" and is 1¼ x 1½ inches.



So I drew a new lady (after drawing several ladies), gave her some flowers ..... and the flowers were terrible, not quite so bad on the actual inchie, awful on the screen.

But I liked my new hothouse lady. 



I drew new flowers on a bare inchie.



Did I feel strong enough to draw and paint yet another lady? 

Mr. Esmeralda suggested using Photoshop cut and paste to put the lady beside the new flowers.
Can't do that!  The Inchie Police will be round right away!

So he suggested using old fashioned cut and paste.
With scissors and glue.
??? The lady is less than an inch tall with squiggly bits, I can't do that!!!

Half an hour later ..... it's worth a try.

It works!  Mr. E. is a genius.



So that's how making an inchie can take more than 6 hours.

33 comments:

  1. I love your colorful and happy inchie, Sheila! It was worth the 6 hours!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! Great that you had the patience to continue the struggle to the end, and it was well worth it! It's WARM and SUNNY here today - did I wake up in the wrong place?? Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Hothouse. Love the Lady & Flowers. Using! real!! glue!!!. Awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie-Jael>>>Have you looked outside yet?...maybe you're in Kansas. LOL

    Sheila, you must have possession of the Incredible Shrinking Machine. Working on a large canvas then sending it through the machine to shrink it to size. I am always in awe of all the detail you manage to put into a 1" square space! Love this little inchie of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well worth the 6 hours! Small things often take longer than large ones to create. Great lady and I love those exotic flowers.
    Thanks for following my blog - I have reciprocated. J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree well worth finishing. I like mrs hothouse's outfit and ultra slim waist, and the happy dancing flowers. So imaginative and well done Mr Esmeralda for great suggestion. How did you manage to cut such detail in such a small piece of work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes but it is a most wonderful inchie! Love that lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your lady and your flowers. What medium are you using for these?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This inchie just look wonderful and it was worth every single hour you needed to create it.
    I also like the way you described how you finally got to the result. Very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often use digital means to achieve my Inchies. The Inchie police don't mind at all!

    But you did well to draw it all so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your inchie - it's fabulous.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your inchie! You did a great job drawing it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous inchie, very colourful. Well worth your persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that took you a lot of time. The result is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post! lol those ladies are hot alrite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love reading your process. How creative! She turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic inchie Sheila the time you spent is well spent,love your drawings.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, I can see why! This is great! THERE IS AN EVERY INCHIE MONDAY??????????? Be still my beating heart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha, i completely understand. you can get lost in art, but it is worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that did make me smile! Mr E is a genius - even 6 hours would not be long enough for me to create a little masterpiece like you have..... love your inchie. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sheila your lady and flower are fabulous, I always love your vibrant colors and style! Well worth the time and thought that went into this, even small art needs love and time, best wishes to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG 6 hours, thats fun, hehe...I love your outcoming cool lady with sunglasses and a garden like eden...♥ Conny
    http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a superb inchie ! :)
    Thank you for joining us at Artful Times
    Von ☺

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anyone who can create artwork in a square inch has my complete and total admiration...I would be truly outside the box...well done my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous artwork in an inchie which must be the most difficult size to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. and well worth the six hours it took. That is fantastic - love it, so bright and truly amazing.
    Sorry I a late - playing catch up - not sure how I missed you.
    Thanks for joining us at Artful Times - Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.