Saturday, 11 May 2013

A STRANGE FLOWER RISES FROM THE PAVING

The challenge at "Sunday Postcard Art" this week was to make a 4 x 6 inch postcard on the theme "Chevrons", the challenge at "Art Journal Journey" was to make something in a different way from your usual techniques and the challenge at "Artful Times Challenge" was "Blooming Marvellous".

These are the four different (from usual) techniques I tried here.

First, collage, which I admire very much when made by others, but have never quite got the hang of.



Second, stamping, with which I challenged myself in this previous post and am trying again.  I made the paving by making a stamp for the paving stones and stamping with copper on to navy blue card.



Third, using shiny paper foils.  I love foils, especially the ones with patterns and text.  I have dear friends who selflessly provide me with sweetie papers.



Fourth, monoprinting on glass, using shiny paints and watercolours.  If you're wondering what the white bits are, they are the remains of pieces which were collaged on but were hurriedly taken off.  It's a challenge.



Gave it a photo-editing spritz and made it lighter, to become the top part of the postcard background.



Then painted a page to make the "curtains",



added sequins and beads,

all of which made the postcard.




A strange flower rises from the paving.

28 comments:

  1. Nothing plain and ordinary could ever have risen from this awesomely creative piece. It could only be a new one of a kind species...and with glitz to boot! Now I've got to start saving my candy wrappers too! You are so talented and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Step one - eat the sweeties ! Really creative, very difficult to get the textured effect to come across in a photo. Colourful & Awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how clever that is..and yummie!

    thank you so much for this fab entry for Art Journal Journey in may!
    xxx Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way your mind works :-) Fab postcard Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved walking your creative pathway, Sheila, what a fantastic result - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great postcard! Thanks for sharing how you created it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous combination of techniques a truly wonderful hanging :)
    Thankyou for sharing it with us at Artful Times
    Von ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great process and result Sheila. Love the stamping on the navy blue paper, i may have a play with that colour combination.
    Excellent result

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like all the elements of your PC the stamp you created is amazing! Happy AJJ Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very creative and so colourful

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is great. I'm tipping my hat to your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your creative process is so complex--it's fascinating. and this is one beautiful, unique blossom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your artwork it is just so fresh and unique this is awesome Sheila...WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. As I said on Flickr...I LOVE this piece. I love all the different techniques you played with too! Each one of them is a work of art...and put together...they're SO wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheila what a fantastic post, you are so creative, love your strange flower and your stamps.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all your colour combinations but especially like the patterned blue and copper paving slabs, altogether beautiful colour combinations and very clever use of materials culminating in a very pleasing work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazing, how many techniques you use here to create such wonderful magical plant ;) I wish I could be a bee and taste her shiny blooms ;) LOVE it ♥ Conny
    http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so different. A lovely piece of colourful modern art there I think.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Artful Times.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving that pavement! I'd never have thought of putting copper over navy. It really works.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally loved reading this post and the title is genius. its wonderful! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a wonderful postcard and it looks like you had a great time creating it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whew. I'm tired after that journey! I'm lovin' that pavers stamp you created.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, such wonderful pieces and I love how you have used the sweet wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing your I really enjoy collage, both admiring and doing. Using the shiny paper really makes the flower come alive. Your paving stones are wonderful. What did you use to make your stamps? Have you ever used rubber erasurs? They work great for small stamps. What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many wonderful techniques and what a brilliant result. I love your piece of art. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hugely creative postcard and I love the bright colours you've used.
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.