Tuesday, 2 April 2013

BIRD WAITING FOR A BUS

The theme at Every Inchie Monday this week is "Travel" and the theme at Three Muses is "Transport".

So, here is how I make an inchie, yes, a square inch painting, the only way I know, the slow way.

First assemble the equipment, besides a large sheet of cartridge paper and some tracing paper.

A square inch template to draw around, to make an square just over one inch (to be trimmed later).
A 0.05 waterproof pen to draw the picture.
A pencil to try out ideas, rough sketch on the actual inchie and an eraser on the end to rub out pencil markings on the inchie.
My sewing machine brush to use while drawing or painting to brush away any eraser or other dusty bits on the inchie.
Tombows and other watercolour pens.
Staedtler triplus fineliners and other pens.
A 000 brush to paint in the tiny corners.



First of all, I do many try-out drawings relatively quickly and very small.  Here are some of them. When I was at college I had a very inspiring teacher who made us do lots of samples (for weeks) before even starting to think about a finished design and I enjoyed making samples more than anything.

The sheet of paper below is roughly 8 by 6 inches.  There are some funny looking birds here but that's the whole idea of samples, to let you try out new, random and odd ideas without commitment to finishing.  Do you like the little bird centre bottom with the crutches, that's why he is waiting for the bus.



The main trouble with making lots of samples is that you make a very good bird, for example, then you want to duplicate that bird on to your finished piece.  Tracing paper works to a certain extent but it hardly ever seems to end up quite the same.

Eventually I go for it, make a square inch and draw the outlines.  I was very taken with this little bird, but the bus stop got away from me and the road went through it so I had to start again.  I used the sketch later to try out ideas for the flowers and grass colours.




Finally get a good bird, bus stop and bus all on the one inchie.  Then comes the nerve-wracking task of painting it.  One shoogly hand and it's gone.  And here is the final .......



BIRD WAITING FOR A BUS







Now I ask -
Why is the bus off the road?  Is it just taking a wide corner?  I don't like the look of those back wheels.
Why is the bird facing the wrong way, he should be looking out for the bus.  I think he may have been there for some time and has gone into a bus-waiting trance.

Otherwise, I actually rather like it.  My paintings are as much a surprise to me as to anyone else.

36 comments:

  1. Every time I see a piece of art you've created, and the story that goes with it, I smile. Thanks for brightening up each day, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stories make me laugh. I have been in a bus waiting trance myself - poor bird.

    "Shoogly"? What a great word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The finished product is fabulous. I love all the gorgeous colors on the bird and in the rest of the inchie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Bird and bus made me smile as well as the story and your questions about it. I can't imagine how to create a picture on a little inchie..

    Ciao Beate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he might be re-considering the bus travel. As the crow flies might be a pleasant choice on such a beautiful day. It's kind of funny to see all those many big tools in preparation for such a tiny space! You'd think there wouldn't be enough room to use them all. LOL I loved reading about your process. And it's all too familiar also. The inchie is fun, but when you add the story for us, it's SO much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fun and cute Sheila...your art just make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hour bird on crutches concept, it is brilliant. Your inchie is superb, i love the little bird who is clearly showing his best side to the audience :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog! This bird inchie is so sweet, I love the bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great little hand-drawn inchie! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really have been bitten by the inchie bug, Sheila, what a sweet piece, so colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a very funny inchie. It made me laugh a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You put so much work into your inchies! So much fun! I love your bird & the bus on the edge of the road. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been admiring your inchies and am amazed at what you can put into such a small space!xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your amazing inchie - so much work has gone into it.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All this for an inchie :) I think your little birds are lovely and I love the colours in your final inchie all so pretty. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute is the finished result!
    I'm pretty much always in a trance myself, without waiting for a bus! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your inchie...the colours are so vibrant, I especially like the bird and the bus stop and is that a bird I see driving the bus with a big beak? Wondered if you could post the actual size of the inchie one time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Taking the flying bus beats flying. The workbook page is awesome! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your work just keeps getting better, Sheila. This tiny masterpiece is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comment--it led me to your blog--love your finished picture, and the story behind how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so cute! Who cares if the bus isn't quite on the road? It makes your little painting that much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great inchie. Think I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am totally fascinated. Just totally. Your thoughts make the picture even more fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hehe, the bird don´t need that weird bus flowing out of the curve, bird flies on its own with its beautiful bueish wings ;))) what a great inchie!! xox Conny

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the bright colors. It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Funny and beautiful creation of birds life :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely journey (pardon the pun)you have taken us on, Sheila, in how you created this amazing little piece ..... on an inch of paper!!! It's amazing.

    Hurray for inspiring teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the images you create, I wish I could do something like this! It's always such a delight to come and see your work and this piece is no exception!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very inspirational. I shall try out your method of making a sample page. I usually do this in my head, but it's a good idea to put it down on paper. Thanks.
    I love your inchie - it tells me a story.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Sheila, these birds are so cute, and the final little cutie is just great, your colors so bright and vibrant, it's a great little picture, it's always a pleasure see what you've been creating, such fun and delight!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Sheila, I was out surfing the web and came upon your art on another blog and had to come over and met you. Your blog is so refreshing and cheery . . . I love your whimsical art, you put a smile on my face.
    I am your newest follwer and I would be honored if you would follow me back. I meet the nicest people in blog-land. Also, I have a link to my husband's blog and he is having a $25 Amazon gift card give-a-way . . . come put your name in the hat.
    So happy that I found your fun blog.
    Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your little painting! I think you are right! I think the birdie is in a trance from waiting for the bus! I used to have to wait for a bus to take me to work and bring me home and I used to be in a trance waiting too!!!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a lovely inchi and so funny your birdie. Perfect coloring and just fine doodeling. Love it! Thank you very much for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  34. But what a wonderful surprise. I love the way you went to so much practice before your final painting. ALL of them are adorable and delightful and I hope you at the very least put them or keep them in your art journal.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.