Tuesday, 9 April 2013

AN INVITATION TO TEA

The theme at "The Three Muses" challenge this week is "The Written Word".

Do you ever receive hand-written letters?   I have a dear friend who does not use a computer, so occasionally I receive a very nice hand-written letter.

Mrs. Flattie also does not use a computer, so her correspondence is always in her very fine hand-writing.





Rephinia Flattie has accepted Mrs. Flattie's kind invitation and now it is Tuesday and Mrs. Flattie is waiting at the door to greet her visitor.





Rephinia Flattie is coming down the path and Boxy, the cat who thinks he is a dog, has run to meet her.
Trust me, unless you are Rephinia Flattie, you do not want to be met by Boxy.   Rephinia and Boxy have come to an agreement after an incident involving one of Rephinia's many fine hats.





Do have another look at the Flatties.

They love bright colours, in clothing and in their home.

Mr. Flattie likes making modern sculptures which Mrs. Flattie much prefers to flowers.

Mrs. Flattie makes her lemon cake from square lemons.

They have a tradition of always wearing three large buttons (but we'll see later what the teenage Flatties have to say about that) (and Grandma Flattie is quite a rebel too).

They always wear flat shoes.

Above all else they treasure their dear friends.


Isn't this a wonderful world where we can have a friend and a home-made cake?




Boxy says "Grrrrr".

28 comments:

  1. Sheila, you and your art are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful story and so brightly and cleverly illustrated!

    I cannot wait until the Flatties meet the Spikeys ,and Boxy and Jaggy get together! I wonder what their kittens would look like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these Flatties are so great, you have such a way, I love your creativity! It's always such fun coming here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Refinia Flattie and Mrs. Flattie must be related, but I wonder exactly how...sister-in-laws maybe? Sheila, you are so cleverly creative with your stories and narratives and "creature"...no, I'm sure I must mean character illustrations! One must pay close attention so as not to miss a single thing! :-) And, having been out planting a few flowers today, I must say, with Mr. Flatties wonderful sculptures, who needs flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Sheila, what a gem of an entry for the challenge, both art wise and the written word, fantastic and very clever!
    Yes i still receive written letters and I write 10 of them to send to the UK at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love these! I love your little story that goes with those fabulously whimsical drawings.

    I have a box of old written letters. Haven't had a new one in years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Square lemons are cool ! When the Flatties have a hen party, I can't wait till we see who also is there. Awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been laughing out loud!
    Such a cheering up collection! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These should be children's books, Sheila. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheila, I envy your imagination:D
    Wonderful cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story and super whimsical drawings. Smiling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work.Square lemon cake. Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG..having the biggest smile on my face now..LOVE your sweet post and the "flatties" Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow I love your Art this is sooooo unique ! Fantastic, Brilliant!!
    XOXO SanDee

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just blow my mind with your uniqueness and imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I so enjoy your stories. And now I want lemon cake...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Sheila, you have my full attentiion .... I'm loving the Flattie family and my mouth is watering for a slice of that lemon cake. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOh Wow,this is Amazing, i loved this art with paintings, i loved MRs : Flatterie and all together,love your style and your blog,have a big smile on my face

    :-) :-)
    thanks for the nice Kind comment of my blog.


    Bis Hugs Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always interested to read accounts of interesting folks having tea! I have to say that I have never had anything made with square lemons, but I would love to try them! Are they more sour than regular lemons, more yellow? And please tell Boxy he would be welcome at my Tearoom anytime, but only if he behaves and promises not to eat anyone's hat!!

    Thank you for sharing this!! Bravo!!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  20. great fun. blog is making me smile.
    Square lemons. My grand children love the stories.
    mo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE your Flatties. Colour is so important in our lives, and homemade cake is always good, too - I think you have inspired me to make lemon muffins this afternoon! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Raphinia's hat. I would love to see the shop where she purchases her hats. What fun that would be. Your imagination is quite wonderful, and you skill at sharing your visions just keeps growing. This is a great thing for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the flatties and her house looks very inviting too. I agree this would make a very sellable children's book. Again your use of very clear colours is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so incredibly whimsical. Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a riot! I love your flatties and square cat! Thanks for leaving comments on my work and linking me back here.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.