Tuesday, 5 February 2013

TILES

This week the Three Muses challenge was Swirls, Twirls, Whirls and Flourishes.  I found this a difficult one for some reason, and it took a few days before I got a flash of inspiration - colourful tiles and repeat patterns, oil pastels and dyes.


This is the original painting.


It was a cold, snowy day, a perfect day for painting indoors, and I got a bit carried away and made seventeen different tile pictures, some a lot better than others. It's amazing how a design can change when it is put into a repeating pattern and I love the surprise when the squares are put together, like this second one.


The original painting.



I use these Sennelier oil pastels and make up a fresh batch of inks from dye powders each time.  Of course you can use watercolours but I like the depth of colour you get from these inks.

I usually make up about a dozen different colours at a time and mix them, and by the end of the session there can be some very interesting colours in these cartons which can be difficult to make again.

I cut out 6 x 6 inch squares of cartridge paper and drew the designs using the oil pastels, then I painted over the designs with the inks, the oil pastels providing a resist.

The third one.





And the fourth and final one was a surprise from the original.





My favourites? - of the tiled sets, the first one, and of the original paintings, the third, which I didn't like at all when I first finished it.
I would be really interested to know which ones are your favourites.

24 comments:

  1. Oh, my, these are just amazing! The colors, flourishes and swirls, everything! I'm so glad I found your blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, a favorite? First let me say as usual I am just amazed how you process your paintings this way. It's very cool! But it's your originals that really catch my attention in this batch. And the last one I would have to say is my fave original. And the first one would be my fave processed work. I loved seeing your tools of the trade that you use and how they work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your artwork is amazing and so unique what a lovely way of creating beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you created the flourishes and swirls! The vibrant design is awesome and the colours are brilliant.
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tiles are stunning, Sheila. Each is beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful take on swirls and twirls! Your tiles are creative and the end result is superb. I don't which aspect of your art I enjoy the most - the pictures you create or the journey through them that you take us on. I think it's a tie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You seem to have enjoyed creating these patterns as much as I enjoyed seeing them and learning how you did it. The inks make these tiles just brilliant. I like them all.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your kaleidoscope style paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic my dear. What a lot of lovely piece you've made! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. First and last for both! THese are all amazing--I love the primitave look and the wonderful, wonderful color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH. MY. Goodness!!! They're all SO beautiful that there is NO WAY I could choose a favorite. This is something I hope you'll do a lot more of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating to see how your paintings evolve (is your powdered ink Brusho by any chance?) - and they are all so beautiful. If I had to pick a favourite it would be the fourth but they are all amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colorful swirls, reminds me of paisley fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the tiles. Good to see the process as well. I think the second is the favourite, but they are all good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your work is so fresh! The colors are electric!

    I would love to know how you choose the name for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sheila, your art is perfectly amazing, and it's too hard to choose one among them... All these colors are so beautiful together... And the tiles are so unique! Very very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them all, though the first of your original paintings is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are beautiful! I think I like the fourth one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I love your oil pastel work! These are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are incredible. My fave it the third one, but it wasn't easy to pick just one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all so exciting and wonderful! I am drawn first to the first one, both the original and the tiles. My second favorite is the original of number 2. Thank you so much for showing us what you use and sharing some of your process. Stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You seem to have such a diverse use of colour, my favourite is the original of the first and second, but really I love them all....the colours are stunning. Clever and inventive.....simply exquisite :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.