Tuesday, 12 February 2013

THE GROKIZA ONLY EATS RED FLOWERS

The theme for the Three Muses challenge this week was "Red".  There are a million associations with Red but all I could think of was Red Riding Hood or Red Tulips.  So I put the theme "Red" into the computer I call my brain and for the next few days thought about it on and off, without any success.
Then suddenly a few days later, while I was out walking, this phrase appeared in my head "The Grokiza only eats red flowers".

????

What's a Grokiza?

As soon as I got home I got out my sketchbooks to look for some inspiration and found this.


Oh, that's a Grokiza!

Painted some red flowers.


Poor little red flowers.


Painted the Grokiza.


I'm a nervous painter and since I've discovered photo-editing I draw each component of a picture separately and combine them at the end.  This avoids the inevitable disaster of spoiling what's already been done, allows a lot of flexibility of composition and I can also change the colours of some of the parts if they are not quite right.




The Grokiza only eats red flowers.



The blue flowers on the right are laughing and dancing because they know they are safe and the purple flowers on the hill are saying "Oh look, there's Old Groki over there, isn't that interesting".   But the red flowers are going "Oh, no! Oh, no! Oh, no!".

If you are not a red flower the Grokiza is friendly and harmless.

32 comments:

  1. I just adore this, Sheila! Your sense of humor and whimsy, and your painting talent, are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious and priceless! Have you thought about doing a children's book! I think old Groki would make a lovely character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but I am a red flower, so I'm a bit nervous. Maybe he won't notice I'm here. You'd think old Groki would be red after eating so much red. Very interesting how you put these paintings together. Funny how Grokiza came to mind. I'm awfully glad you found one to show us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whimsical, fun and fabulous I'm only growing red flower next year so I can attracted a Grokiza too.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I love it everything but I especially love the end of Grokiiza's tail, the happy blue flowers and the red flowers destined to be eaten. I agree with Linda, have you thought about writing a children's book....for adults of course or illustration? Again I think this is your best yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a charming playful piece, nice way for me to get up this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delight! You should be illustrating children's books. I can see Groki becoming quite a favorite! Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Three Muses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting creating process you have. Intuitive and fearless. I love the final result. I would call it a fairy-tale for adults.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another of your amazing whimsical pieces, Sheila, now you will have another story to write - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun presentation. Love your art pieces. Uniquely created.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fun fun fun! thanks god i´m not a red flower;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagine the devastation a herd of Grokizas woould do!! Love the birds. Gorgeous. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such fun, so very playful, great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thoroughly enjoyed your Grokiza story. Excellent!xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, how fabulous is this, Sheila! Your creative muse took you on a very lovely journey and I love the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Sheila, its more than a piece of art its a small myster tour. Absolutely amazing and thanks so much for sharing your process. I really do love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent story, and your achievement is so amazing Sheila! Thank you for this beautiful trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. "oh, oh, no", this is so much fun. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sheila, what a fantastic piece...great fun, great art, great imagination and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delightful story and piece! If you're not a children's story writer or illustrator (or both), you certainly could be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did "Evil Sheila" do this?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL ROFL
    I still love it like crazy and the process you've described...beginning with the computer you call your brain...is simply fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What fun this is. I love the stories that go with your paintingsThank you for sharing your process. I think it is a brilliant idea to paint the elements seperately. I makes so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so fresh and childlike. I love the story and your art!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fantastic piece of art work... bright and happy! I love the 5 legs on the Grokiza must making walking a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And YOU called me an artist???? Hello!!! Look who's talking! You do fantastic work! Wow....I'm impressed and feel like getting out my markers this very moment! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is wonderful, Sheila. You should be illustrating children's books. Your work is topnotch.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad to see your latest effort!! You brighten my day as usual. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very lovely creation! I love the colors and whimsical feel!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I would be so pleased if you would leave a comment.